Friday, March 25, 2011

Imperfections = beauty

Today I really felt inspired to talk about something incredibly important. The beauty industry and it's connection with a girl's self esteem. Two people actually came to my school the other day to talk about the type of image that the media/beauty industry was portraying on women. This really got me thinking. Now, I know that this blog is beauty-themed and many girls (including me) enjoy reading other makeup/fashion blogs and watching beauty gurus on youtube. Which is actually part of the reason I feel I need to talk about this. Even though I am interested in beauty, makeup, and fashion, I have never been one of those girls who can't stand to stare at herself in the mirror with no makeup on. No one should be that girl. Every single girl on this planet is beautiful in their own way. And if your personality isn't beautiful, there is only so much that makeup can cover up. What is beauty? To me, beauty is when you can see a girl's confidence radiate off of her. When someone is comfortable with who they are and not afraid to show it, that is beauty. What is perfection? What is imperfection? I could sit here and list all the things I would have to do and change about myself in order for everyone to see me as perfect. But I won't, and I can't. Have you ever done is? Have you ever just sat down and said, I would have to get rid of all my acne, make myself taller, have fuller lips, less wrinkles, straighten my hair everyday, change my clothing style. But then you realize that all these imperfections, they are the things that define who you are. Who would we be without our tiny little flaws, our imperfections? Of course I don't love the tiny little imperfections, I have learned to be confident regardless if they are there or not. There honestly is no true meaning of perfection. That is the difference between beauty and perfection. Beauty is the imperfections. If someone were "perfect" (if that is even possible), they would not be truly beautiful in my eyes. The imperfections of every single person is what makes them so beautiful, and there confidence and acceptance with that is what makes them even more beautiful.

Here are two videos that my friends and I watched in school. They are pretty powerful. The first video shows how every single girl has to deal with all this pressure of being perfect, from models and advertisements and everything of the sort. It is a bit graphic though, just a warning. The second video shows how supermodels are transformed into completely different people by the computer.






2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. Very nicely written blog, Jaz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You couldn't be more right! You've written this really well and I found both the videos really interesting.
    Unfortunately, I think it will take A LOT of people to change this warped perception of beauty. It's quite sad that the world is like this, I think that to be able to fix this, people need to begin realising that what they think of themselves is more important than what others think, and I think the whole world needs to stop judging based on looks.

    xx Alyce
    http://alycefashionland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete